Health information includes information about the health of a person, or health services provided to them. Personal Information generally means information or opinions about a person who is reasonably identifiable from that information. Personal information includes sensitive information. Sensitive Information includes information about a person’s beliefs or associations.
As outlined in Apotex’s Code of Conduct, the directors and employees of Apotex are bound by the laws of the country in which they operate and the security, lawful and proper use of personal information is mandatory.
5.1 Collecting personal information
Wherever possible and practical, Apotex will ensure personal information is de-identified, and individuals dealing with Apotex may request anonymity or the use of a pseudonym. However, there may be situations for both healthcare professionals and patients where it is impracticable for the purposes outlined above to de-identify each individual. If Apotex receives personal information that it would not ordinarily be permitted to collect under the Privacy Act, it will destroy or de-identified that information. Apotex will take reasonable steps to notify individuals of Apotex’s collection of their personal information, and will provide all relevant information prescribed under the Privacy Act. Apotex will only collect personal information by lawful and fair means.
5.2 What information is collected
The personal information Apotex may collect includes:
1. a health professional’s name;
2. general contact information such as address, telephone and fax;
3. professional practice information, such as year of graduation;
4. professional information which individuals provide directly to it, such as areas of their professional interest;
5. information about their own pharmacy, such as purchase and dispensing patterns; and
6. information about the health professional’s preferences about how they should be contacted for professional purposes.
The personal information Apotex may collect includes:
1. a patient’s name;
2. general contact information such as address, telephone and fax; and
3. other information reasonably required in order to respond to the enquiry and/or comply with legal obligations, and, with the patient’s consent or as required by law;
4. medical status and medical history;
5. medications being taken;
6. treatment received;
7. contact details of treating healthcare professionals.
5.3 How Apotex uses personal information
The primary purpose for which Apotex collects personal information of healthcare professionals is to provide information for customers and for sales and marketing purposes by Apotex and its contractors, including sales representatives, on behalf of Apotex.
The primary purpose for which Apotex collects personal information of patients’ is to respond to enquiries and comply with legal obligations.
5.4 How Apotex discloses personal information
Other than by operation of the above databases, Apotex does not use or disclose any information about individuals without their consent, unless:
1. required by law;
2. Apotex believes it is necessary to provide an individual with a service which they have indicated they wish to receive, such as product updates;
3. to protect the personal safety of any member of the public; and
4. the assets and operations of Apotex business are transferred to another party as a going concern.
Apotex may disclose personal information to third parties within and outside of Australia, in addition to its related bodies corporate, regulatory authorities and ethics committees as required and permitted under the Privacy Act.
5.5 Apotex will not ‘spam’ you
Apotex may contact you at the email, fax or other address which you provide in order to:
1. provide you with urgent communications regarding Apotex’s products;
2. provide you with other information about products and services in which you may be interested; or
3. respond to an enquiry.
Apotex will comply with its obligations under Spam Act 2003 (Cth).
5.6 Do Not Call Register
Apotex may contact you on any telephone number which you provide in order to provide you with information about its products and services or respond to an enquiry. Apotex will comply with its obligations under the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 (Cth).
5.7 You can access the personal information Apotex holds
If at any time you want to update or know what personal information Apotex holds, you are welcome to access your record by contacting Apotex using the details set out below. Your information will generally be made available to you within 14 days of receiving your request. Apotex reserves the right to not provide access to individuals if the request for access is frivolous or vexatious, or falls into another relevant exception category. Apotex may impose reasonable charges for such access.
5.8 Changing and deleting the personal information Apotex holds
Apotex will take reasonable steps to ensure personal information is accurate, up-to-date and complete and notify you of any such changes. If you wish to update your personal information, please contact Apotex to amend your record accordingly. If you wish to have your personal information deleted, please contact Apotex and Apotex will take all reasonable steps to delete it unless compelled by law to keep it.
5.9 Storage and security of your personal information
Apotex will take all reasonable steps to keep secure all personal information from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access. Personal information is stored on secure servers that are protected in controlled facilities, or in hardcopy paper records stored in secure access facilities. Apotex require its employees and data processors to protect the confidentiality of any personal information held by Apotex. Personal information will be kept until Apotex no longer needs the information for purposes it was collected for.
5.10 Apotex’s web site
5.11 What to do if you have a problem or question
5.12 Future changes
5.13 Contact details for Apotex
You may write to Apotex at:
Apotex Pty Ltd.
PO Box 280
North Ryde BC NSW 1670
You may telephone Apotex on:
+61 2 8877 8333 or 1-800-APOTEX (273-839)
You may email us at: Email Apotex Pty Ltd.
Top of Form